Saturday, April 17, 2010

Return of the Blogger... with graphics specs!

Whew! Good to be back! First the news. Then the graphics info!

For the past many weeks now I've been getting my new site up and running. Sorry for not posting much, hopefully I will more as we move forward studio- and band-wise. For those of you who don't know I've started my own personal website/blog over at Chasinglilly.net. The blog over there has a lot of stuff going on, currently Will and I's Dark Territory LOST Podcast (which is also up on iTunes! Go subscribe!:-) ), a side video series I'm doing, my personal thoughts, and occasionally some homework relating to my Digital Storytelling class. Go check it out!

You may have noticed that I put up a new post over on the Island Wars blog talking about some new graphics I've been working on for the film. The pictures are also reprinted below. Btw nerd question: what type and generation space ship is it? The answer's somewhere below in the post ;-)





I didn't want to put any specs in the Island Wars blog and figured it would be more appropriate here on the studio blog anyways. The two images are part of a short test scene I started making two days ago from scratch. The entire sequence was made using Blender 2.49, particleIllusion 3.0.2, and Adobe After Effects CS4. It took a few good hours to make. Much of that was spent testing, trying to remember the Blender interface, wrongly exporting from pI multiple times, and getting the 3D camera data working in AE. Thankfully it looks even better in motion than the pictures.

Nerd answer: It's a Star Trek Voyager-generation shuttle craft, DUH! Actually the only part of the image I didn't make myself was part of the mesh for the shuttle, which I got from the Star Trek Blender models site.

Of course, the images above are by no way the final product. There's a lot of work still to be done. For instance, the outer space in both images needs more on an atmosphere, the engine should be glowing, etc.

Keep looking forward to Island Wars, FINALLY coming out this summer! :-)

Happy Trails and Namaste,
Sam.

PS - Andrew Kramer, you ROCK! Thank you for giving the world the gift of flares.

No comments:

Post a Comment